A collaboration between RedDeer.Games and IMPS – The Smurfs has put new apps and games in production for the Nintendo Switch console, which will feature The Smurfs – the globally popular blue characters known from movies, TV series and comic books.
The products will be available later in 2023.
SMURFS ON NINTENDO SWITCH
RedDeer.Games will use their experience gained from developing some of the most popular apps and games on Nintendo Switch, such as nOS, Sport & Fun: Swimming, Family Chess, Comic Coloring Book, and AAA Clock, to develop family-friendly apps for fun and learning.
– The Smurfs universe is perfect for such games – says Dominik Czarniga, co-founder and chief creative officer of RedDeer.Games.
– Sympathetic and loved by kids characters inhabit a fantastic, visually interesting world. Many people in our creative department remember them from the cartoons they watched as children – he adds.
– We are so excited to bring more Smurf Fun on Nintendo Switch with this new partnership with the talented teams at RedDeer.Games. This is a great opportunity to connect with kids and parents with brand-new smurfy creative and fun apps and games – says Fabienne Gilles, Head of Consumer Products & Family Entertainment at IMPS – The Smurfs.
POP CULTURE PHENOMENON
Stories about a village of friendly, cooperative Smurfs and the wizard Gargamel who hunts them have been attracting children in front of screens and comic book pages for years.
The blue folks made their comic book debut, written by Pierre Culliford (a.k.a. Peyo), back in the 1950s, and animated series featuring them have been broadcast in more than 100 countries and raised several generations.
The latest feature-length films with the Smurfs (the first in the series was released in 2011), in which 3D animation was mixed with scenes recorded with real actors, have also gained great popularity. These Hollywood blockbusters from Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation starred Neil Patrick Harris, Katy Perry, and other great actors. The three instalments generated a total of more than $1 billion in revenue.
In 2022, the Smurfs brand owners announced a partnership with Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Animation. It will result in more high-budget film projects with a first theatrical release slated for February 2025.
YEAR OF SMURFS
RedDeer.Games will act as both producer and publisher of new apps with the Smurfs for Nintendo Switch. This year’s console launch will coincide with the celebration of the Smurfs’ 65th anniversary, the debut of the Smurfs new series on popular streaming platforms, and some new exciting announcement about the long-awaited new Smurf movie.
PRESS KIT AVAILABLE HERE
THE SMURFS – WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CUTE BLUE POP CULTURE HEROES
– 99 AND 1 SMURFS EXIST
– 55 TRANSLATIONS OF THE NAME „SMURFS”
– 14 MILLION FACEBOOK FOLLOWERS
– 1 SMURFS HARIBO SWEET EATEN EACH MINUTE ACROSS THE WORLD
– 122 MILLION VIEWS OF BRITNEY SPEARS SONG “OOH LA LA” FROM THE SMURFS 2 MOVIE
RedDeer.Games is an award-winning global gaming company that focuses on developing and publishing unique indie games.
We aim to create accessible games, easily distinguishable by their original art style. Our main goal, however, is for them to be FUN!
In recent years we released Cyber Protocol, Clumsy Rush, Art Sqool, Nirvana Pilot Yume, Little Mouse’s Encyclopedia, Circa Infinity, Detective Di, Trash Quest, Syndrome, Inukari, and AAA Clock.
About Peyo, IMPS (International Merchandising Promotions & Services) – The Smurfs:
IMPS, together with LAFIG Belgium, are the official licensors of the little blue characters ‘The Smurfs.’ Over the years, IMPS has worked in close collaboration with its agents worldwide to develop successful licensed merchandising, retail and co-branded promotions, publishing activities, digital and video games, broadcasting deals, theme parks, live shows, and family entertainment experiences, that have secured the everlasting success of the Smurfs.
IMPS is run by Véronique Culliford, the daughter of Pierre Culliford, the creator of the Smurfs, who is better known under his pseudonym Peyo. Véronique has run IMPS since 1984 and controls with LAFIG Belgium the rights to the Smurfs characters and the Smurfs licensing worldwide.
LET THE FUN BEGIN